City Arts is an independent community art hub in the heart of Newbury, West Berkshire.
Our address is 10 Hampton Road, Newbury RG14 6DB.
It was created in 2015 by Claire Struthers-Semple and Isabel Carmona with the aim of providing a friendly and welcoming place to learn, share, teach, collaborate and exhibit art. A place where people could come together and enjoy Art in a friendly environment.
We’re currently open March to December whenever a workshop, exhibition or event is running.
And our Community Hub Cafe is open regularly Fridays and Saturdays from 10am to 4pm.
Our cakes are baked by local bakers and we serve great barista coffee and a selection of high quality teas.
We are proud of our involvement in the community and run seasonal free and low cost events.
Our flagship Chalkfest event takes place every August – we take over the Market Square in Newbury and enjoy brightening up the pavement! A competition of the chalk drawings is judged by a local artist with prizes for different age groups.
With our commitment to the community, we have a strong ethos of equality and inclusion. This is reflected in the work we are involved in and why our fundraising is so important:
- We have a programme of Free Art Sessions for wellbeing at the Art Hub Cafe on Fridays
- We run free courses for older people living alone to improve their socialising opportunities through art.
- We run low cost and free events like Chalkfest, Applefest, Seed and Plant Sales
- We provide a space for local artists, craftspeople and students to exhibit their work
- We work with people encouraging communication through art and creativity
- We provide volunteering opportunities (cafe, exhibition, general)
- We work with and support local independent small businesses